Monday, April 21, 2008

Ooops! This part of the class has kind of fallen by the wayside for me. Been doing all of the other assignments, and haven't posted here. I think this is the perfect week to get back into the habit. I kind of laugh when MIS/ITEC classes start talking about SDLC and programming approaches. From my experiences, there is a real division in the workforce about how this is implemented. There are the project manager/supervisor types that "invade" MIS, and want everything to be super structured and make everything look pretty. Then there are the hardcore programmers who just want to be left alone so they can code for 16 hours a day.

While I definitely fall into the latter group, I try to keep everyone happy. The organization is necessary, but I have seen times where project managers drag down things. The real problem is the project managers don't know enough about the technical aspect, and the technical people don't know enough about the "project management" side. So you kind of get stonewalled in a meeting trying to explain the gritty details to each other. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

There have been many times where I've seen the project manager report and just said "Huh?" It is really frustrating from my standpoint when the project manager offers little in the way of organization; that coupled with we have to spend every meeting minute trying to explain what the "tech" people are talking about.

1 comment:

Les said...

Yes, sometimes it is good to have someone who can speak both the techie and PM terms. You can't make everyone happy...if you do you make no one happy.