Monday, March 31, 2008

One, two, three...Collaborate!

The past several years I have used several on-line tools to collaborate with other individuals, for both school and work. Some have seemed more valuable then others. For instance, I am a big fan of Wikipedia.org. The website is an extremely interesting read. Lots of good information and opinions out there. Often, I can use it as a starting point to get some general information and then start on research.

During the interview process for my present job I was asked if I had ever used a wiki. At the time, I wasn't sure how a wiki would play out in the work place. As I outlined in my posting, I have seen how it is used and it has some mixed results. One of the biggest shortcomings of a wiki is a lack of uniform organization, and that is prevalent in this environment.

In addition, I'm a huge fan of the WebEx style "meeting" environments. At a previous job, I was a network administrator so there was a lot of SSH sessions with multiple devices. All of the configurations were done through a command line interface. WebEx was huge when we had problems. We could set up a meeting and they could see the exact output from our devices real time. They could relay any commands they wanted us to try. Previously, this would have to be done in an e-mail communication, which is much more time consuming.

1 comment:

Les said...

Nice writeup, Tom! Yes, collaborative tools are very useful if used correctly. These tools will gain importance as the work force becomes more distributed.